I know I shared in a recent post that it didn’t feel right for me to form new intentions for the start of 2017 but I’ve had some time and space to reflect on what I want for this next period of my life thanks to a lovely holiday I’m taking in Barbados with my family and I wanted to share my thoughts with you.
I hope that sharing my thoughts with you, lovely friend, will give me some accountability and perhaps encourage you to do some reflecting of your own!
I wasn’t sure where to start and it was my great friend, Jess, who inspired me, directing me to a post Brené Brown had shared on Facebook about how she reflects at the start of her New Year:
So I asked myself the same questions Brené did and I want to share my answers with you!
1. What do I want more of in my life?
I want to feel freer, more assertive, more grounded and I want to know deep inside that I am enough, just as I am. I also want more joy and lightness in my life as I know I can be quite intense and laughter, joy and happiness balances this intensity out. I also want more progress towards my life goals:
- Work in a fulfilling career
- Live in Australia for a few years
- Have a baby
2. How do I let go of that which no longer serves me?
I know that people pleasing, worrying and comfort eating no longer serve me. Letting go of these things will only happen if I fully feel the emotions that lead to these behaviours – anger, fear, judgement, jealousy, annoyance, frustration and disappointment – and breathe into them until I’m able to let them go. I know it’s the pushing down of these feelings which leads to the people pleasing, worrying and comfort eating.
There’s also another thing which I know doesn’t serve me…and this is the harshness and judgement I pour over myself.
“You’re useless! You’re so stupid? How could you be such an idiot? You’re so fat!”
I’m tired of bullying myself and I don’t want to do this anymore. So, I’m going to write a page in my journal every day bigging myself up. It only takes 5 minutes to do, but I’m going to commit to these 5 minutes as time I speak to myself as if I was my own best friend until my internal dialogue changes and I actually start to be my own best friend.
3. What will make me feel more alive? Braver?
I’ve thought of some things that will make me feel more alive and braver. These things scare me, but I suppose that’s the point of this question – to push me outside my comfort zone.
Here is what I believe will make me feel more alive and braver in 2017:
- Developing my blog and trying to reach more people with it to support them on their journey
- Trying out new things without obligation to do them again. The things I want to try are the Sunday Assembly, the EFT tapping circle, the 20s and 30s women’s social group and all the other amazing groups I’ve found on meet-up (thanks to the wonderful Sarah Sands for pointing me to meet-up to find loads of fun stuff to try in Brighton!)
- Putting my health as a priority – sweating more to get my glow on!
- My new job!!! I accepted a job offer mid-December and will be working at Adur and Worthing Council as an Organisational Development Business Partner from mid-February. This will take me outside of my comfort zone and I can’t wait for the start date to arrive!
- Finding peace with not responding to texts/phone calls/e-mails/invitations straight away. I know this is a strange one and I don’t think it’ll change much in my life…but it will mean that I do less things because I should do them and instead I will allow react from a place of authenticity. What I want is less obligation and more authenticity in my life.
4. How will I contribute going forwards?
I feel that I contribute a fair amount and so a lot of what I want to do is to continue contributing where I can –
- giving financially to Paul’s Place and Earth Justice;
- volunteering my time to Brighton and Hove Independent Mediation Service;
- rejoining the Green Party when my membership ends in July;
- being vegan;
- continuing with my weekly blog, which I truly hope is a support and source of inspiration to you, dear one.
There are some new things though that I want to do in 2017 and I’m quite excited about them…firstly, I want to off-set my air miles when I travel – I know my flights impact the planet and although I’m not prepared to curtail my wanderlust, I can take steps to mitigate the detrimental impact I have on the world.
Finally, I want to contribute more deeply to helping others find courage, truth and love through starting my own weekly podcast. I’m so excited about this step I’m going to take and will share more about it when I get the show on the road!
I’m so pleased I decided to take some time to ask myself these questions as it has given me some amazing direction for the coming year. Why don’t you give it a go and let me know what intentions you set for the coming year?